Who Are We?
CityWorks DC is a new non-profit venture incubated by CityBridge Education. Our work will include launching new and amplifying existing initiatives that reshape education-to-employment pathways in Washington, DC.
OUR MISSION: Reshape education-to-employment pathways in Washington, DC so that more young people are equipped with the “social mobility trifecta”— 1) paid, relevant work experience, 2) valuable certifications and credentials, and 3) a supportive professional network (i.e., social capital).
OUR VISION: Young people growing up in DC secure meaningful work that can support a family, build personal wealth, and drive economic growth in the region.
OUR DESIGN PRINCIPLES: CityWorks DC seeks to launch new (and amplify existing) initiatives, all in pursuit of three overarching design principles:
- High schools provide students with opportunities to learn at work, not just learn about work at school;
- Employers become co-developers of young human capital with educators; and
- Postsecondary becomes local, flexible, and affordable to complement learning at work.
OUR STARTING POINT: In Fall 2020, in collaboration with the Federal City Council, CityWorks DC will launch CareerWise DC, a citywide, three-year youth apprenticeship program for DC high schoolers in high-wage, in-demand occupations―e.g., Information Technology, Business Operations, and Financial Services. We will start with 30-50 youth apprentices in partnership with 5-7 employers and 7-8 high schools.
- Young people will be trained—and paid—to do meaningful work for a company, earning both industry-based certifications and postsecondary credit, as well as developing a supportive professional network.
- Employers will build a local, diverse talent pipeline for hard-to-fill positions, increase employee retention, lower recruiting costs, increase productivity, and spur innovation.
- Post-apprenticeship, young people pursue further postsecondary education AND employment in various, interwoven ways.
Welcome To CityWorks DC!