Have additional questions? Please contact us.
Who can participate in the CityBridge Design Studio?
Educators (teachers, school leaders) or education-adjacent professionals (social workers, class leads, administrators) across Washington, DC who:
- Have identified a problem in their school or educational community
- Are in the early stages of building a solution to this problem
- Have at least one year of experience working in education or with students/youth
- Are able to attend all three sessions
What will participants do in Design Studio?
- Explore a student-centered problem and the conditions that shape it
- Brainstorm potential solutions to the selected problem
- Design a draft prototype plan to gather data on the selected problem
- Learn and collaborate with a community of like-minded educators, entrepreneurs, and leaders
- Be introduced to multiple avenues for moving forward with your design
What will participants create and receive in Design Studio?
Participants will walk away from the Design Studio with a stronger definition of the selected problem, a set of custom tools and methods, a plan to test and adapt their prototype.
What follow-up support is available to participants?
During the summer and fall, participants can receive additional support and micro-funding to address challenges exacerbated by COVID-19. Participants can choose to focus on one problem area and enter a collaborative group of other designers focused on similar issues.
- Mental health and social-emotional learning
- Assessment of learning
- Family engagement
- Support for special populations
What is the time commitment?
- The pre-work for Design Studio will take participants approximately 2 to 3 hours prior to the workshop.
- The workshop will be conducted virtually and split between two weeks (three 2-hour sessions).
- Post-workshop activities will likely take between 2 to 3 hours at a minimum. This includes documenting and sharing your learnings on the prototype.
What is the timeline and process for applying?
We offer two rolling application processes – one for February 2021 workshops and one for March 2021 workshops. The applications will go live in early December.
The application form will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. Given our desire to maintain small cohorts, we might not be able to accommodate everyone’s first choice for dates. Applicants will be notified of which cohort they have been placed into two weeks before the first studio.