Do you want to bring innovative solutions to DC’s public schools? Join the CityBridge Incubator.
Now more than ever, we must boldly redesign our education system with the needs of our most marginalized students at the center.
The CityBridge Incubator is an ideal space for innovators and problem-solvers (like you) to explore, design, and test equitable solutions with guidance from our expert coaches. Whether you are interested in creating new schools, organizations, or programs within existing schools, the CityBridge Incubator will prepare you to implement and scale your solution in a real-world setting.
Customized for each individual’s and team’s needs, the CityBridge Incubator offers three stages of increasing intensity, support, participant’s experience level, and length. Through each stage, you will deepen your understanding of an educational problem, design and test your solution or idea, build a guiding coalition, and launch a venture at scale.
Since 2013, CityBridge has supported educators & entrepreneurs—particularly leaders of color—at the forefront of innovation in DC public schools.
Stage 1: Design Studio
- Participant Profile: Individuals
- Application: No
- Funding: Up to $250
- Length: Three 2-hour workshops
- Frequency: Year-round opportunities
- Support: Virtual support and optional post-workshop support, network, and micro-funding
- Testing: Design and run a single pilot
- Outcomes: Build a test to run after the workshop
Stage 2: Design Fellowship
- Participant Profile: Teams
- Application: Yes
- Funding: Up to $5,000
- Length: 4 full-day workshops across 4 months with piloting after
- Frequency: 2 cohorts: fall and spring
- Support: Individualized coaching between workshops
- Testing: Design and run 2 pilots of varying complexity
- Outcomes: 1 fully executed pilot plan, designs for a 2nd, larger-scale pilot, a theory of change, a set of storytelling tools, and a plan for building a coalition
Stage 3: Design Residency
- Participant Profile: Team or Individuals
- Application: Yes
- Funding: Up to $150,000*
- Length: 5 months to 1 year*
- Frequency: 1 cohort annually
- Support: Individualized coaching and strategic workshops
- Testing: Run strategic pilots
- Outcome: A new start charter school application, a business plan, or a scaled transformation within an existing school**varies depending on the pathway selected